This week was a little difficult for me. I found myself thinking of characters that embody the same qualities over and over (think strong female protagonists from fantasy novels.) Turns out I’m inspired by perseverance and dedication. I wish this was because I see these qualities in myself. Sadly, I think it’s because I lack them! Regardless, I wanted to have a bit more variety. I’m not sure I succeeded with variety but I am sure that all these characters have qualities that inspire.
Characters are listed in the order that I “met” them.
1. Anne from Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery: The Anne of Green Gables books are the first books that I really fell in love with. Gilbert is still one of my favorite love interests and I always wanted to be like Anne. Her imagination and ability to find joy in any circumstance always impressed me. I finally made it to Prince Edward Island this past summer to visit the places where Anne is set and it was a childhood dream come true!
2. Lucy from The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis: Oh, the faith of a child. Lucy makes mistakes as she grows but she manages to find her way and stay true to that which she believes.
3. Aerin from The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley/ Alanna from The Song of the Lioness Quartet by Tamora Pierce: Basically I could have populated this whole list with characters from these two authors (also, Sherwood Smith.) These women kick butt! With nicknames like “Dragon Slayer” and “Lioness” was there ever any doubt? I was inspired by their dedication and refusal to accept that others dictate who they are.
4. Elizabeth Bennet from Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen: Oh my stars. The first time I read Pride and Prejudice I wanted to BE Lizzie (and not just because of Mr. Darcy!) I loved that she was witty and smart. She wasn’t the prettiest or perfect but she was herself. She helped me to be okay with who I am, even if that’s a big book geek
5. Ron Weasley from the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling: How hard would it be to be the best friend of “The Boy Who Lived”?!?! Ron’s not perfect. He makes some poor choices but in the end he is loyal and true. Inspiring qualities.
6. Joey Pigza from the Joey Pigza books by Jack Gantos: Seriously, this kid is a rockstar. He tries so hard to do right and be good. There are so many things against him yet he keeps going. LOVE him!
7. Jeffery from Drums, Girls, & Dangerous Pie and After Ever After by Jordan Sonnenblick: Jeffery’s whole life has been spent dealing with cancer and the after effects. He persevered through his illness and dealt with the changes it caused.
8. Alejandro “Alex” Fuentes from Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles: Alex refuses to let his situation define him. He doesn’t just take the easy way out. His loyalty to those he loves is admirable.
9. Junior from The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie: Junior makes the choice that is best for him even though it causes him to straddle two worlds, not fully accepted in either. Alexie tells his story with humor and honesty.
10. Peeta from The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins: This may be influenced by my love for him! I just feel that he is deep down good.
9 Responses to “Top Ten Inspirational Characters”
Leave a Reply