Top Ten Books I Wish I’d Read as a Kid
Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by
I read a lot as a kid but I have to admit… my reading material wasn’t incredibly varied. The Babysitter’s Club was pretty high on my list! When I was in college I decided I wanted to read all the Newbery winners. I think I made it through ten of them! This list is populated with Newbery winners I wish I would have read as a child. I think I would have enjoyed them more then.
1. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L’Engle I still plan to read this one. I feel a little embarrassed every time I admit that I haven’t read it!
2. King of the Wind by Marguerite Henry This is one of the ten I read when I went on my Newbery kick. I liked it but think I would have liked it more as a teen.
3. From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E. L. Konigsburg I LOVED Silent to the Bone and some of Konigsburg’s more recent reads. I think I would have enjoyed this as a younger reader.
4. The High King by Lloyd Alexander How did I miss this series as a kid? It is SO right up my ally!!!
5. The Grey King by Susan Cooper Again, sixth grade me would have devoured this!
6. Roll of Thunder, Hear my Cry by Mildred Taylor My seventh grade students read this in language class. I wish I would have read it when I was their age to have that experience to relate to.
7. Dicey’s Song by Cynthia Voigt My students love this one.
8. Number the Stars by Lois Lowery This just seems like a book I should have read.
9. Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli I love his other books. I still plan to read this one soon!
10. Julie of the Wolves by Jean Craighead George A girl in my fifth grade class LOVED this book and I never read it because she was mean. Oh, the logic of a ten-year-old!